Vankaya inguva karam / Egg plant curry,is one of the South Indian traditional recipe,which does not contain either garlic or onion and is a sathvik food item which goes well with south indian families..It can also be prepared as stuffed brinjal / egg plant curry,by stuffing the spicy curry paste in to the brinjals cut into 4 halves with the ends intact..You can make it when you get bored with onion or garlic..or on festive days.
- Egg plant - 1/2 Kg
- Oil - 3 Tbspns for curry
- Salt - To taste
- Oil 1 tsp for frying
- Urad Dal - 2 Handfulls
- Methi seeds - 1 t spn
- Red Chillies - 5 or 6(To your spice level)
- Jeera - 1 t spn
- Hing powder - 1/2 tspn
- Place a pan on the stove and add 1 tsp oil
- (or u can even dry roast them)then fry urad dal, methi seeds, red chilles, jeera.
- At last add hing before 1 minute you switch off the stove.
- Make paste of all the above ingredients by adding some water.
- Take a pan add the oil to it.
- Add egg plant pieces(or add stuffed brinjals), grinded paste, salt, half cup of water and close the lid.
- Adjust water to consistency. Keep stirring in the middle so that it will not be burnt.
- Switch off the stove when done.