Bobbatlu..it is one of the most favourite and famous sweet especially for south indians..It is a sweet delicacy prepared for festivals and occassions..like marriages,gruhapraveshams etc.
- Maidha /all purpose flour-2 cups
- Suji-1 tbsp
- Salt- pinch
- Oil- 1/2 cup
- Ghee-2 tbsp
- Channa daal/senaga pappu-2 cups
- Sugar-2 cups
- Elaichi powder 1/2 tsp
- Place maidha,suji,and salt in a bowl..add water and make a dough.Knead well for soft bobbatlu.Pour 2 to 3 tbsp oil,on the dough mix well and let it rest for 2 to 3 hours..it becomes soft when it is kept aside covered with a lid..
- Meanwhile cook channa daal,with 4 cups of water for 15 to 20 minutes.When it is cooked ,remove from stove and take off the balance water from it.Add sugar to the cooked daal and mash/grind it to a paste.Donot add any extra water.Adding sugar to the cooked daal,makes it thin ,while mashing/grinding.Add elaichi powder and make lime sized balls after it is cool.We call this as Purnam.
- After keeping the dough aside for 2 to 3 hours,take the maidha dough ,knead well and make it in to lemon sized small balls.The consistancy of the dough should be very very soft and smooth by this time .We call them as Chovi in telugu.
- .Now heat tawa in a low to medium heat and apply oil/ghee on it.Take a plastic sheet/10"piece of banana leaf and apply oil on it.
- Place the dough ball on the sheet/leaf and spread it on it with oily fingers,into a circle.Now place the jaggery dall in the middle and cover it with dough from all sides.Again with oily fingers(apply oil to the fingers of right hand) start spreading /pressing the ball into a big circle.
- Then lift the leaf along with bobbattu and place it on the hot tawa in upside down direction,then sprinkle oil around the sides and cook both sides till nice golden colour .
- Remove from tawa and serve hot.Generally ghee will give the best taste to use for frying the bobbattu ,but use either ghee or oil according to preferred taste..