VANKAYA -MENTHI KARAM -KURAVankaya/brinjal ,with menthi karam kura is a variety among the stuffed curries and tastes well with hot warm rice. It's a variation in stuffed brinjal vankaya curry,in Andhra delicacies.
For menthikaram powder powder:Urad daal 2 tsp
Methi seeds 1/4 th tsp
Jeera 1/4 th tsp
Red chillies 12 nos
Hing a pinch
Oil 1/2 tsp
Place a pan on the stove,add oil and after it is heated add all the materials and fry them till urad daal turns a little light brown,remove from the fire.Let it cool.After it is cool,dry grind the powder ,mix salt and keep it aside.
For curry:Menthi karam powder 2 tbsp
Vankayalu/brinjals 12 to 15 nos
Onions chopped 1/2 cup
Tamarind paste 1 tsp
Oil 2 to 3 tbsp
- Wash brinjals well and cut them into 4 halves with the end of brinjal is intact.Just like we cut for stuffed brinjal curry.
- Now take 2 tbsp of the powder (if u dont like more spicy reduce the amount of the powder,if u like spicy add a little more)and stuff in to the brinjals.
- Now place another pan on the stove add 2 to 3 tbsp oil to it and place all the stuffed brinjals and chopped onions in to it.
- Cook it in a low flame with covering the pan with a lid.If u want it more soft add half cup of water.
- If the curry is cooked with a lid on the water vapour is enough to cook the curry itself.
- Lastly after the curry is cooked n turned soft add tamarind paste and mix it, now let it cook for 2 to 3 min more.
- Then switch off the stove and transfer in to a serving bowl.
Ideal for chapathis, rotis or rice.