VADA PULUSU.. stew ia a delicacy from the Ongole and Nellore regions in Andhra Pradesh. A variation from routine Sambhar,rasam and kadi.
- Chana dal - 1/2 cup
- Onion -1(Handful of chopped onions for vadas and rest for gravy)
- Green chillies-5
- Ginger-Garlic paste- 1/2 spoon
- Garlic cloves-3-5
- Ginger-1 inch piece
- Asafoetida-1 pinch
- Turmeric- 1 pinch
- Salt- To taste
- Tamarind- Small lemon size
- Garam Masala powder-1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1 tspn
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Bay leaf-1
- Sugar - 1/2 tspn
- Cinnamon stick- small piece
- Urad dal
- Red chillies
- Mustard seeds
- Soak the chana dal for 3 hours in water.
- When the dal is soaked, drain the water and grind the dal along with chillies, garlic and ginger.
- Add some onion pieces(a handful), chopped coriander leaves and salt to the above ground mixture.
- Make small patties from the above mixture and deep fry them in oil.
Procedure - Pulusu/Gravy:
- Place a pan on medium heat and add oil to it.
- When oil is hot add the seasoning ingredients mentioned above, asofoetida and cinnamon and fry them.
- Add the remaining chopped onions, ginger-garlic paste, chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, curry leaves to the pan and saute them until the onions become translucent.
- Add tamarind juice, turmeric and salt to the pan.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil add 1/2 spoon of sugar, garam masala powder and red chilli powder to it.
- Add vadalu, made earlier, to the pulusu and boil them for five minutes and then turn of the heat.