Ven Pongal..is one kind pepper rice.. a popular South Indian Savoury and spicy rice made with moong dal, rice and other spices.. often done as Naivedyam..an offering to God..In Vaishnava temples of South India mostly..Now a days it's been done in homes as healthy morning breakfast served with sambar and coconut based chutneys..Ingredients:
- Rice - 1 cup
- Moong dal - 1/4 cup
- Water- 4 1/2 cups
- Pepper corns 3 Tb spn
- Green chillies- 6
- Ginger - 2 ''(small pieces or grind it to paste)
- Curry leaves
- Hing- 2 pinches or 1/8 th tspn
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Ghee - 1 to 2 tsps
- oil- 2 table spoons
Video is here...
- Take a pressure cooker ..add oil and ghee. Put pepper corns, Ginger paste, green chillies, jeera, hing, curry leaves.
- After this is fried.. add the washed rice, and daal ,into the pan. Fry for 5 mins.
- Now add measured water.. into this.. and add salt ..to taste.
- Now close the lid of the cooker and let it cook.
- Switch off the stove after 3 whistles.
- Serve it hot.
You can take this as is, or with any chutney or pickle or sambhar.