Stuffed Eggplant..Guthhi Vankaya kura...
With peanut masala stuffing...
This curry is one of the most prominent delicacies from the coastal Andhra Pradesh. It is very tasty and goes well with rotis and rice too. Some call it as Guthhi Vankaya Masala curry and some as Nuni Vankaya.(Some call this as Bagara Baingan, but some of the ingredients differ.) This curry tastes yummy with steamed white rice along with its thick gravy.
- Brinjals ...250 gms.
The brinjals are to be vertically splitted with the ends intact..and place them in water.
- Chopped onions... 1/2 cup
- Ground nuts... 1/2 cup
- Corriander seeds... 4 tsp
- Jeera ..1 tsp
- Garlic flakes...6 pods
- Chilli powder ..1 tbsp to 2 tbsp (as per your spice eating levels)
- Cloves... 2 to 4 nos
- Salt... to taste
- Cashew nuts... 5 to 7 nos
- Dry or frozen coconut shredded ...1 tbsp
- Tamarind paste or Tomato paste .... 1 to 2 tbsp
1...Stove top Method :
Preperation of peanut masala stuffing...
- Place a pan on the stove add 1 tsp oil and fry ground nuts, dhania seeds, garlic, cashew nuts, grated coconut, well.
- Let them cool and grind them in to a paste along with chilli powder, salt, tamarind paste /tomato paste, onion and jeera.
Cooking on stove top...
- Place a pan on the stove and add 2 to 3 tbsp oil,..
- Mean while stuff the ground mixture in the Brinjals.
- After heating the oil in the pan for 2 to 3 minutes, place the stuffed brinjals in the pan, add 1 cup of water and cook in a low flame with the lid covered until done..
- Stir in between to ensure that the masala is evenly cooked without getting burnt.
- It will take up to 40 minutes in low flame.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve hot with rice.
2.... Instapot method....
Cooking in Instapot...
- Turn Instapot..to Saute mode..after Hot..add 4 tbsp oil..add jeera and mix
- Add 1/2 cup of water,and when it's boiling..add stuffed eggplants and the remaining peanut masala stuffing and saute mix for a minute.
- Close the lid of the Instapot,and seal the vent..
- Cancel turn off the saute..and turn on the manual mode for a minute.
Jump here for video..
- After cooking,when the beeping is done.....QR the pressure and open the IP.
- Mix once..if needed ,turn On Saute..it takes a minute..turn cancel the IP..
- Transfer in to serving bowl.
3.. Cooking in Microwave oven
- Place a micro safe bowl,add 1 tbsp of oil to it,and also add the stuffed brinjals and 1 cup of water.Mix well and place in micro high 900 W for 4 minutes.
- Remove outside and mix well, now micro at 540 W say 60% for 15 minutes, remove it outside.Stir it every five minutes.
- Lastly mix well and sprinkle 1 tbsp of water(if u want more gravy type add a little more water) and micro low at 180W for 5 more minutes.
- If u want it softer microwave it for 2/3 minutes extra.
- Stuffed spicy brinjal is ready to eat.