Friday, October 29, 2010
Lime pickle is famous in indian homes.A full source of natural Vit-C ,it is quite tasty too with steamed hot rice ,curd rice and dosas..
Salt 1 glass
Upto 200 gms,
check out as only too much salty,iodized salt
is available now a days..
Chilli powder 1/2 kg
Oil 1/4 th kg
Mustard seeds 1 tbsp
Red chillies 5 to 6 nos
Hing- a small ground nut sized piece
made in to powder
Mustard seeds 1and half tsp
Methi seeds 1/2 tsp
These 2 materials are to be roasted,
let them cool, and made in to powder
Wash all the lemon,wipe them with a
dry cloth,and cut them in to small pieces..
Then take in to a plastic basin,and mix
chilli powder,salt,and roasted mustard
methi powder well.Mix all the lime pieces
and the powders well.Lastly heat oil in a
pan and after it is heated add the seasoning
materials mustard seeds,hing and red chillies.
After they splutter and stop popping,switch off
the stove.Let the oil cool completely.Lastly add
this oil in the lime pickle..Set it aside for 7
complete days.In the mean while mix the pickle
well for 2 times in the 7 days.
You can serve after 7 days,but the lime piece
tastes bitterand it takes time to settle completely
up to 20 days..
This recipe does not need to be placed in sunlight..
and it remain s fresh for months..
Check out the salt and chillie powder and add
Both the pickles lime and the previous tomato pickle is from my sister Padmas kitchen,a big Thanks to her as she takes care of me n my family in cooking ..
Friday, October 22, 2010
Tomato pickle stays for more than 6 months ,if proper care is taken while preparing without touching water..
Tomatoes - 1 kg
They should be well washed and dried with a dry cloth.
Avakai karam chillie powder 1/4 th kg
Avakai karam (chillie powder)is used in mango pickle, prepared in the months of summer,the red chillie is broad and long, is from Guntur,of Andhra pradesh,it will be rich red in colour,and it will not be too spicy n hot.Iused the leftover pickle chilli powder now and the rich red colour is due to that..
Aashirvad karam 100 gms or a little more
Ordinary locally made chillie powder is from thin and short redchillies and it is very hot n spicy,we use them in curries.So less amount is used.
Tamarind 50 gms
Salt 100 gms
As now a days iodized salt is used less qty of salt is enough
Soak(washed and dry) tomatoes in salt and tamarind for 2 days.
(Mix in between 1 to 2 times per daywith a dry plastic spoon).
From 3 rd day keep dry open in sun light.
Place the tomato pieces and the tomato liquid seperately in plastic basins.
If it is dry sunny weather then one day sunlight is enough.
Or else if it is cloudy then 2 to 3 days of sunlight are needed.
And immediately in the evening prepare the pickle.
In the mean while before making pickle ,dry roast 1 tbsp of mustard seeds,and half tbsp of methi seeds in a pan.
Dry grind it in to a powder after it is cool.
next grind the dried tomato pieces and the left over tomato juice in to a paste along with chilli powder, and mustard and methi powder.. and keep it aside.
Place a pan on the stove,and add 1/2 kg of oil to it,then after it is heated add 2 tbsp of channa daal,2 tsp mustard seeds,red chilli slits of 4 nos,hing, and ,then after they stop spluttering add (washed and dried)curry leaves toss well for 2 minutes.
This is to ensure the tomato pickle mixture not to get spoiled ,if at all any moisture is left over.
Lastly add the grinded paste of tomato pickle to it and fry for 2 minutes.
Thats all.Switch off the stove.
Store it in a airtight container after it is cool..
Serve with steamed hot rice or dosas n rotis..
This recipe i am sending to the event conducted by Nivedhita and Jagruthi
COMPLETE MY THALI-PICKLE..
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Alu fritters a snack,lightly oily food go well with evenings at tea time..
Besan flour-2 cups
Rice flour- 1/2 cup
Soda a pinch
Chilli powder 1/2 tsp
Aloo 4 to 5 nos
Sliced into chips
- Mix besan,rice flour salt and chilli powder along with a pinch of soda in to a paste.It should be neither thick nor thin,it should be like mediun batter in consistancy.
- Place a pan with oil for deep frying,after it is heated,dip the thin slices into besan batter and drop one by one aloo slices in the oil and deep fry till brown.
- Enjoy them eating while they are hot with a chutney..
- If u want them to be like street food then stuff chopped onion along with chilli powder and salt and lemon juice, corriander leaves and eat them..
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Kajji kayalu ,is a snack item which children like to eat in the evenings after school time,and more over it is a simple and easy and safe recipe which can be made in minutes of time..It is a tradtional andhra sweet which consume less oil.
- Maidha 2 cups
- Salt a pinch
- Suji ravva 3/4 th cup
- Grated coconut -1/2 cup
- Sugar 3/4 th cup
- Elaichi powder 1 tsp
- Oil (for deep frying)
- Roast suji ravva in a pan by adding 1 tsp ghee,till light brown and keep it aside.
- Like wise dry roast the dry coconut grate a little,and place in a bowl.
- After they are cool,add suji ravva, grated dry coconut and sugar and elaichi powder ,mix well,store the powder in a container.
- Knead the maidha flour well and make small round balls marble sized.
- Expertisation should be needed in rolling them in to small puris.
- The thickness should be made evenly ,if it is thin in the middle it will break while deep frying and the stuffing will be leaked out..
- After preparing a puri add 1 tbsp of the ravva mixture/powder on one side of the puri.
- Apply a little water to the ends with index finger.
- And affix the 2 ends firmly to join together,and check that the filling will not come out while deep frying.
- Place a pan with oil in it for deep frying.
- Fry in medium heat ,by placing 3 to 4 kajjikayalu at a time.
- Fry them till light brown and place on a tissue paper.Store them after they are cool.
Monday, October 18, 2010
PHIRNIPhirni.. is a delicious variety of payasam,very tasty especially children love it..
Dry fruits - each 1 tbsp
- Wash and soak rice for 20 min.
- After 20 min,take off the excess water and grind into a paste
- Take a micro safe bowl,add 2 tsp ghee and micro it for 30 seconds.Remove it ouside and add the dry fruits and again micro it for 1 minute,take out and keep aside.
- In a big microsafe bowl,boil milk at 40 % for 10 min,in between stir it thrice,beware while boiling milk or it may spill out.
- Add rice paste and sugar to the boiled milk,and micro it in 60% for 4 min.
- Remove it outside and stir it then again micro it in 60% for another 4 min.
- Remove it outside,again stir it,now add the condensed milk ,stir it well,and micro it for another 3 min.
- Lastly remove it ,and add essence,colour,elaichi powder,and fried dry fruits and micro it in 40%for 5 minutes.
- Mix it twice ,in between,and garnish it with dry fruits.
- Phirni.. thickens to semi solid consistancy after it is chilled.But if u need it to be in thin consistancy micro it for only 3 to 4 minutes in 40 %,and lessen the rice quantity a little in the beginning itself..
Saturday, October 16, 2010
SUJI HALWA-BOBBATTU/ SOJIAPPAM SHALLOW FRYSuji halwa bobbattu tastes yummy..they were deep fried in ghee in previous days..but due to calorie conscious we shallow fried with ghee on a tawa..
Sugar 1 to 1 and half cups
Ghee 3 tbsp
Water 2 cups
Place a heavy bottomed vessel on the stove,add 1 tsp ghee and roast the suji ravva in med temp till light brown .Keep it aside.
Add sugar and water in a seperate bowl and let it boil,after it is boiled add suji ravva slowly and cook in a low temp.
Now add ghee and cook till it turns in to a halwa paste,leaving the sides.
Switch off the stove,cover with a lid and allow to cool.
After it is cool,make small portions into round balls n keep them covered.
Salt a pinch
Oil 2 to 3 tbsp
Mix maidha well with water into a smooth dough ,like we prepare for puris.
Lastly pour 2 tbsp oil and mix n pat with the hands.It will be smooth .Keep it aside for more than one hour..it should be done before preparing the halwa.For making such bobbatlu..sojappam,do not add cashews for even
After one hour make small portions into balls n keep them covered.
Taka a plantain leaf/plastic foil spread a few drops oil with your hand,take a small ball of maidha and spread it with your hands,in to a small puri.
Then take one halwa round ball,and keep it in the puri and cover from 4 sides.
Now again press with your oily hand and spread it ,and place directly on tawa and shallow fry with oil/ghee as per your choice..
If you are not calorie conscious deep fry in ghee /oil.
A sweet item which we can offer as prasadam,children love them.
Friday, October 15, 2010
Semiya should be roasted with a tsp of ghee into very light brown colour.
Ginger pieces 2 tsp
Green chillie slits 2 tsp
Curry leaves very few
Oil 2 to 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Urad daal 1 tsp
Channa daal 1 tsp
Cashew nuts/ground nuts 2 tsp
Place a pan on the stove and add oil to it.
After it is heated add mustard seeds,urad daal and channa daal,and cashew/groundnuts and toss well.
After they stop spluttering add ginger pieces and green chilli pieces and lastly add curry leaves and mix well.
Now add 4 cups of water and salt,and let it boil.
After it starts boiling,slowly add the roasted semiya and mix well.
Turn the flame from med to low and let it boil.
In a few min it will be cooked and become thick.
Place a lid and cover it,let be in sim/low.
After a few minutes switch it off and keep it aside..
Sprinkle 1 tsp of lemon juice and mix well
Serve hot with a chutney..